kdbus Update

November 26, 2014

I’ve written about this before (here and here), but the situation with respect to D-Bus latency has evolved quite a bit since then. The first and second salvoes of kdbus patches have been submitted, and it looks more and more likely that  D-Bus support will—in one form or another—make its way into the Linux kernel. Besides providing a fascinating window into the kernel development process, this turn of events makes things like the GENIVI Audio Manager seem a lot less speculative.

Time will tell whether or not this is a good thing. I’m neither a systemd hater nor a fanboi. I’m just trying to make sense of it all. Passing PCM data via D-Bus used to seem flat-out crazy to me, but… it looks like it may be not only be possible in the near future, but also efficient. Is it a game-changer, or the end of Linux as we know it? I have no idea, but I sure am having fun watching the fur fly!


UPDATE: February 21st, 2014 — I happened across another solution to the same problem: pump.py. It also looks quite interesting, but may be intended for a narrower set of use cases…

I ran across the GSL project today and fell heavily in like.  I’m starting to get really interested in code generation as a master-level technique. All sorts of activities lend themselves to code generation, but the things I’m most interested in auto-generating at the moment are:

  • Unit and regression tests
  • Scripting language bindings
  • Message marshallers/demarshallers

GSL seems like it could be a great tool for all of this and more.  The czmq project provides some real-world examples of GSL in action, including auto-generation of CMake and Visual Studio project files. This utility is definitely something I plan to investigate—if I don’t drown in the deluge of boilerplate code and tests at work first. Sad smile

Another interesting thing I trolled from the iMatix github repos is gitdown, and (by proxy) ditaa.  Looks like a great way to leverage markdown on github pages to make truly useful and complete documentation right on a project’s front page. Nice…


Overcommit and OOM on Embedded Linux

November 8, 2013

We have a lot of code at work that checks the return value of malloc() for NULL, but I’ve come across a fair number of posts claiming that this is pointless on most Linux systems because the return value of malloc() is very often a lie (due to overcommit being enabled). This article explains the […]

Read the full article →

Static analysis with clang/scan-build

November 6, 2013

My buddy Jim-James asked me how to get CMake to use clang today, and we wound up figuring out that this works: cmake -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=clang -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=clang++ .. Well, it works if you do this first: sudo apt-get install clang Anyway,  the cool thing is, clang’s diagnostic output is much more verbose/helpful than gcc’s. I knew this […]

Read the full article →

Close a Hung SSH Session

October 28, 2013

After 15 years of having to deal with this problem once in a blue moon, I finally got annoyed enough to look up the solution. Just hit ENTER + ~ + . to get out of a hung SSH session. (That’s ENTER, followed by a tilde, followed by a period.)  Kinda handy when you’re debugging […]

Read the full article →

APSW May be Your New Best Friend

September 29, 2013

Someday. Keep this link around. The VFS and virtual table support are intriguing, if nothing else. And (Note To Self), when people talk about pysqlite, they’re (apparently) talking about what you get when you type import sqlite3 in Python.  Oh, and the first link says “APSW always handles Unicode correctly.” Good to know.

Read the full article →

Windows Live Writer

August 29, 2013

Okay, confession time: I freakin’ love Windows Live Writer. I know, I know, there goes my Linux-/Mac-guy street cred, but… it’s pluggable/extensible and it ‘just works’. Well, it did, anyway, until I upgraded to WLW 2012 and started getting SSL errors.  This post helped me figure out that creating a shortcut to WLW that passes […]

Read the full article →


June 19, 2013

Hello again, Self! That’s: Yet Another Signals and Slots Library (not its real name). Happened across this and it looks pretty interesting: – https://github.com/pbhogan/Signals Give it a look next time as an alternative to sigslot.h.

Read the full article →

Booting a Custom Yocto Image on i.MX6 SABRE Lite

June 18, 2013

Well, I guess they call it a BD-SL-i.MX6 now, for whatever reason. Anyway, I ordered one of them last year on September 17th in the hopes that it would prove useful at work, but my employer changed directions and I didn’t get to play with it much. I did try to spin up some Yocto-built […]

Read the full article →

Code Completion in Vim, Jerry Maguire-Style

June 13, 2013

Awful name, interesting project: https://github.com/Valloric/YouCompleteMe. An acquaintance of mine says this actually works quite well with C++ code. I’ll have to give a try sometime…

Read the full article →